Wednesday 9 April 2008

That January Night

This is the first short story i have written and completed (important!). Hope you all give this a read and feel free to critisize.


Date: April 9, 2008 (conceived 5th April)


I was tired after a long day at office. I took the usual route way back to home, first a cab then a bus, then walking. It was almost 25 kilometers from where we lived, because my daughter’s school was nearby. It was her birthday, seventh and I was late in her third consecutive one. It was already nine when I started walking.

I sped up. The sky was clear, the chilling january wind tearing my clothes away and I grabbing it with both my arms. There was no one on the road except the stray dogs barking at each other. They irritated me, what irritated me more was what my wife would say when I get back late. Though I was tired, I sped up.

When I reached the very narrow lane I usually use as a shortcut, I heard someone sobbing. The sound had so much pain in it that I stopped, and I noticed that it was not just someone but some many. The noise was coming from a hut nearby, I took a few steps towards the sound became clearer and I clearly heard a woman, saying something in very gibberish tone. I didn’t get what she said but I knew the family was in trouble. I thought that I should help but I was getting late. In deed I was and I couldn’t afford to annoy my wife. I started off again for my home.

When I reached home, everything was ready, the cake, my princess, my guests and of course the look in my wife’s eyes. My daughter looked very beautiful and was really happy to have me there; I could see that and that made me very happy. The party went on fine and my wife didn’t talk to me the entire night.

The next morning on fourth page in a corner I read ‘Peasant family commits mass suicide’.
I could feel the morning Sun on my face. I looked up to it.

1 comment:

Tanmoy Hazra said...

u shud write more stories. ur blog is all filled up wid poems. hv u read d stories on my blog....360.yahoo.com/tan_becks23...?